- Master of Arts, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Master of Arts, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Russian and East European Studies
- Bachelor of Arts, The American University, Washington, D.C.
International Studies, Cum Laude
- Author of published books and articles for print and on-line publications.
- Regular contributor to Neighborhood News Stories for San Diego Reader.
- Lecturer, presenter and border tour guide for many organizations and schools on topics of history and politics.
- Researcher, developer, curator and writer for the January 2018 Museum Exhibit of the Chula Vista Heritage Museum Fronterizos: A History of the Spanish Speaking People of the South Bay, San Diego
- Grant writer for the Chula Vista Heritage Museum 2018 Exhibit: Fronterizos: The History of the Spanish Speaking Peoples of the South Bay, San Diego. Wrote and secured funding for two grants: the County of San Diego’s Community Enhancement Program Grant and the City of Chula Vista’s Performing and Visual Arts Grant.
- Fronterizos: A History of the Spanish-speaking People of South Bay, San Diego. Chula Vista: Chula Vista Heritage Museum, 2018.
- San Ysidro and the Tijuana River Valley. Charleston: Arcadia Publishing, 2014.
- Napoli Unplugged: Guide to Naples. Naples, Italy: Parthenope Press, 2015. (Co-author with Bonnie Alberts, Penny Ewles-Bergeron and Erin Romano.)
- The Espresso Break: Tours and Nooks of Naples, Italy and Beyond. Chula Vista: Merchant’s Press, 2012.
- DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Naples & The Amalfi Coast. London, England: DK Eyewitness Travel, 2011. (Writing and Photo Contributor.)
- “Solana Center’s Composting Programs Keep Food Scraps Out of Landfills,” Voice of San Diego March 2018.
- “Number of Border Patrol agents getting sick from sewage nearly triples,” San Diego Union Tribune 4 December 2017. (Also appeard in the Los Angeles Times and KPBS midday Edition.
- “Reach for the Gold in Outdoors Haven,” Los Angeles Times 3 December 2017, L3. (On-line version published 11/30/2017)
- Front Cover Feature: “A Dystopia of Sorts,” San Diego Reader 23 February 2017 (Volume 46/Number 8), 16-28.
- “What Happened to the International Skyride?” The Journal of San Diego History 61 (Winter 2015) 307-320. Print.
- “Family Travel to Rubel Castle in Glendora.” San Diego Family (November 2013): 66-68. Print.
- “Highlander Culture in the Tatra Mountains, Poland.” Transitions Abroad (Winter 2010). On-line.
- “When Kids Don’t Love You Like Pizza.” The Families Magazine (Fall/Winter 2009): 30. Print.
- 1st Place for News or Feature Series for South Bay Compass: An OnLine Portal For All Things South Bay, San Diego, San Diego Society of Professional Journalism 2016 Journalism Contest.
- Casa Familiar’s 2015 Abrazo Award winner for writings about San Ysidro and the border region.
- “Cheese dreams in Baja’s Ojos Negros,” San Diego Reader (1st place winner of the 2015 Weekend Getaways Contest.)
- “The Albanian Warrior,” Transitions Abroad (Runner-Up Contest Winner for Travel Narratives of 2013.)
- “The Phlegraean Fields: A Family Adventure in History and Mythology” GoNOMAD.com (Recognized as one of GoNOMAD’s Top Stories of 2009.)
LECTURES & PRESENTATIONS
- 2018 history presentations of Fronterizos and The Border Barons at the Tijuana Estuary Visitor’s Center, The Congress of History, the Bonita Optimist Club and the Chula Vista Rotary Club.
- Lecture presentation at “IGNITE Sessions: The History of Spanish Speaking Peoples of South Bay, San Diego,” Seguimos Creando Enlaces Conference, March 2017.
- Development of lecture and interactive walking tour of the San Diego-Tijuana border and its history to a group of Professors from University of Puget Sound, May 2016.
- Development of lecture and interactive walking tour of the San Diego-Tijuana Border to 90 seventh graders from Carlsbad’s Pacific Ridge School, May 2015 & May 2016.
- Lecture on history of the San Diego-Tijuana Border for the 5th annual Binational Conference on Border Issues at San Diego City College, November 2014.
- USIBWC Citizens Forum presentation on “The History of the Tijuana River in maps and photos,” with Professor Emeritus Steven Schoenherr, June 2015.
- Presentation of “History of San Ysidro” to the Chula Vista Genealogical Society, February 2015.
Media Buzz About My Recent Project:
KPBS midday Edition: ‘Fronterizos’ Captures South Bay History Through Family Stories
NBC San Diego: Exhibit Showcases History of South Bay Residents
San Diego Union Tribune: Chula Vista museum to exhibit Hispanic history of South County
Voice of San Diego: Border Report: The Anatomy of a Rapid Response Network