- Master of Arts, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Master of Arts, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Russian and East European Studies
- Bachelor of Arts, The American University, Washington, D.C.
International Studies, Cum Laude
- Author of published books and articles for print and on-line publications. (See Selected Publications.)
- Board member of the South Bay Historical Society and Chula Vista Heritage Museum and web designer for
- the Chula Vista Heritage Museum.
- Casa Familiar’s 2015 Abrazo Award winner for writings about San Ysidro and the border region.
- First Place winner of the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists, San Diego Pro Chapter, Awards Contest for Non daily Reporting and Writing News or Feature Series.
Fronterizos: A History of the Spanish-speaking People of South Bay, San Diego. Chula Vista: Chula Vista Heritage Museum, 2018.
San Ysidro and the Tijuana River Valley. Charleston: Arcadia Publishing, 2014.
Napoli Unplugged: Guide to Naples. Naples, Italy: Parthenope Press, 2015. (Co-author with Bonnie Alberts, Penny Ewles-Bergeron and Erin Romano.)
The Espresso Break: Tours and Nooks of Naples, Italy and Beyond. Chula Vista: Merchant’s Press, 2012.
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Naples & The Amalfi Coast. London, England: DK Eyewitness Travel, 2011. (Writing and Photo Contributor.)
Recent writing contributor to: San Diego Reader
Past writing contributor to: Stars and Stripes
“Cheese dreams in Baja’s Ojos Negros,” San Diego Reader (1st place winner of the 2015 Weekend Getaways Contest.)
“The Albanian Warrior,” Transitions Abroad (Runner-Up Contest Winner for Travel Narratives of 2013.)
“The Phlegraean Fields: A Family Adventure in History and Mythology” GoNOMAD.com (Recognized as one of GoNOMAD’s Top Stories of 2009.)
“Number of Border Patrol agents getting sick from sewage nearly triples,” San Diego Union Tribune 4 December 2017. (Also appeard in the Los Angeles Times and KPBS midday Edition.
“Reach for the Gold in Outdoors Haven,” Los Angeles Times 3 December 2017, L3. (On-line version published 11/30/2017)
Front Cover Feature: “A Dystopia of Sorts,” San Diego Reader 23 February 2017 (Volume 46/Number 8), 16-28.
“What Happened to the International Skyride?” The Journal of San Diego History 61 (Winter 2015) 307-320. Print.
“Family Travel to Rubel Castle in Glendora.” San Diego Family (November 2013): 66-68. Print.
“Highlander Culture in the Tatra Mountains, Poland.” Transitions Abroad (Winter 2010). On-line.
“When Kids Don’t Love You Like Pizza.” The Families Magazine (Fall/Winter 2009): 30. Print.
“The Vinegar Tasters.” Identity Theory: A literary website. 28 July 2009. On-line.
“Soup Bowls.” MinimalBooks. 2009. On-line. (Finalist in the OFF_Press short story competition in 2009.)
“The Tobacco Tasters.” Ozone Park Journal. Spring 2009. On-line.
“PEMT.” Jack Magazine. Spring 2009. On-line.
Media Buzz About My Recent Project:
KPBS midday Edition: ‘Fronterizos’ Captures South Bay History Through Family Stories
NBC San Diego: Exhibit Showcases History of South Bay Residents
San Diego Union Tribune: Chula Vista museum to exhibit Hispanic history of South County
Voice of San Diego: Border Report: The Anatomy of a Rapid Response Network