Healthy soils for a healthy life
On November 12, 2016 from 10am to 5pm, visit the Tijuana River Valley for the SOIL SHINDIG, presented by Suzie’s Farm, Wild Willow Farm & Education Center, and the Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County.
The Soil Shindig is a day-long celebration of soil, sustainability, and sustenance in South Bay and across San Diego. The event features workshops, demonstrations, fresh food, farm tours, nature walks, a vendor fair, a key note panel discussion, live music and much more. With 2016 designated as the International Year of Pulses (another name for the bean family), the Soil Shindig will also feature cooking demonstrations from local chefs and organizations featuring the star ingredient – pulses! Here are some of the day’s highlights:
- Workshops covering such timely topics as composting, carbon farming, cooking demonstrations, no-till farming, and more
- Keynote panel discussion on healthy soils
- A live ladybug release
- Guided nature trail walks
- Seed swap
- Honey competition and tastings
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Foam Experience
- Live music performance by Iron Sage Wood
The Tijuana River Valley boasts a vibrant backdrop for both farming and recreational activities. Connected by over 20 miles of trails, you are invited to explore the river valley in this celebration of soil!
WHEN: Saturday, November 12, 2016 from 10:00am to 5:00pm
WHERE: Tijuana River Valley Regional Park (San Diego, 92154) at three neighboring locations. Each site will host various festivities and visitors are encouraged to move between sites by bike or foot. Detailed schedules will be shared on each organization’s website, Facebook, and through other channels:
· Suzie’s Farm, 2570 Sunset Avenue
· Wild Willow Farm and Education Center, 2550 Sunset Avenue
· Tijuana River Valley Community Garden, corner of Sunset Avenue and Hollister Street
ADMISSION: This event is open to the general public and admission is free.