521 East 8th Street
The Historic Home Tour: Located right across from Old Schoolhouse Square, the parish of St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church was completed in 1887.
It’s the oldest Southern California Episcopal church still on its original site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The church stands on land donated by local contractor Elizur Steele while city founder Frank Kimball was a large contributor to its construction (which cost $13,000).
Mr. Crocker of Chula Vista designed the church, inspired by some pictures of a small church in the south of England. The architecture is Tudor Revival.
The National City Record gave a detailed account of this building, writing that it is designed along gothic lines and will seat 200 persons. In the interior Mr. Crocker adhered to the symbolism of the Episcopal faith: the entrance, baptismal, the nave, the chancel or choir, and the sanctuary.
The large timbers are Georgia Pine and were brought around the Horn; the rest is California redwood.
The rose window is simple but beautiful as it casts its mellow light over the worshippers.